My Mantra

"Opportunities are only limited by the constraints imposed by oneself." Copyright 2003 - 2017

Friday, August 22, 2008

Analysis Web 2.0 Tools - Podcast Audio



My analysis of creating and uploading an initial podcast as a neophyte was a time consuming event. I began by attempting to create an iMovie video/audio podcast experience only to discover that most host sites preferred mpeg file formats over the mov file format of quick time. This could be based upon my Macintosh which is ancient and prehistoric in computer terms with a 1.8 GHz Power PC G5 running Mac OS X version 10.3.9 and 512MB of RAM. It was originally acquired in 2004 in its heyday by an acquaintance of mine.

The iMovie route video/audio recording experience was a relatively painless process. The pain occurred when I attempted to upload the file to last.fm, splashcast.net, and other hosting services. The next attempt I downloaded and install Audacity and LameLib, which again was a relatively painless process to record an audio track. The access to splashcast.net did not work well with the Mac computer so I ported the Mac files to a PC running Windows OS and the upload to splashcast.net without any issues. This was successful but did not achieve my desired outcome. Finally, I uploaded a single image to splashcast.net and recorded a background audio to the image. This method proved to achieve the desired result. The embedded html code from splashcast.net was copied to my blog site to complete the task event.

I believe the linkage of podcast to blog site will be easier in the near future based upon Dr. Rheingold’s social networking work by directly editing and recording video and audio podcast on the blog site itself.

3 comments:

H's Blog _CS855 said...

Ed, nice work. I like the approach you took. Your delivery was crisp and to the point.

Lyr Lobo said...

Fun podcast and entertaining State of the Union penguin photo. *chuckles*

I appreciate the work that went into your podcast. *grins* This level of creativity and willingness to try new tools is inspiring!

Jan said...

Great podcast - especially liked your visuals. I like using SplashCast but didn't have to convert "windoweze" to Mac. Good job!